Saturday, July 03, 2010

What do Baseballs, Knitting and Recycling have in Common?


Yesterday while at Border's books with my hubby, sipping green tea and browsing a magazine named Belle Armoire, (July/Aug 2010, Vol.10, Issue 4) I was impressed with an idea by Cindy Shaffer.

What's inside a baseball? Good news for knitters. It's made of string and that string can be knitted or crocheted into a great little market bag. Now I know what to do with all the old baseballs that land in my backyard as a result of living behind the high school baseball field.

First thing I did when I got home was peel the "skin" from a baseball and get out my crochet hook. It's intriguing to see what's inside that ball of string. I'm almost at the end of a charcoal colored, 2-ply, sock weight "yarn" that feels like a cotton/wool mix. It even has a bit of sparkle with metallic threads here and there. I can see some white "yarn" underneath the charcoal. Who knew knitting/crocheting with a baseball could be so fun?! Many thanks to Cindy Shaffer for sharing her idea. Old baseballs will not be in the landfills and the market bag will reduce the use of plastic bags. Brilliant.

No comments: